Submissions open August 1
ArtWalk at Hartford Public Library offers one of the largest and most stunning exhibition spaces in metropolitan Hartford and the opportunity for Hartford residents and others to view art in a magnificent setting in our city. Exhibitions on the ArtWalk offer an array of art experiences that reflect a variety of media, styles, and cultures in the art world, provide diverse viewing experiences, and allow for many tastes.
Situated on the third floor of the Downtown Library in a space that looks down onto historic Main Street, the gallery offers unique visibility and exposure, adding to the increasing vibrancy of Downtown Hartford. The ArtWalk hanging system’s movable hanging panels allow maximum flexibility for each show.
The stunning state-of-the art gallery was made possible through the generosity of donors, especially the Beatrice Fox Auerbach Foundation at Hartford Foundation for Public Giving.
The ArtWalk puts on four exhibitions each year, and every year, between August 1 and November 1, artists in all media are invited to submit a body of work. From these submissions, the four shows for the following calendar year are chosen.
- Artists living and/or working in the MetroHartford area will be given priority. Students, emerging, or established artists are all eligible. Artists must have a body of work sufficient for exhibition on the ArtWalk by the date of the exhibition.
- A jury will select up to four artists with final approval from the Library. Criteria for selection include but are not limited to: an artist’s resume or vitae and demonstrated ability, an appropriate body of work that is compatible with the ArtWalk space, and the ability to provide sufficient work ready for installation by an agreed-upon date. Installations designed specifically for ArtWalk are encouraged.
- The jury will also consider the economic and physical feasibility of the proposed exhibition.
- The jury may also recommend group exhibitions.
- The selected artist(s) will generally receive a solo exhibition (although the library reserves the right to create exhibitions for multiple artists simultaneously); supporting marketing; an opening night reception; and, an opportunity to present an artist’s talk to the public during the run of the exhibition.
- Documentation of work: Ten to twelve images of recent and/or current work, or the work specifically being proposed for the ArtWalk exhibition, submitted electronically through our submissions manager. Work should be high-quality jpegs, at least 800x600 pixels but not larger than 1024x768 pixels. Filenames should be formatted: lastname_title.jpg. Up to three minutes of multimedia or time-based work will be viewed by jurors; clearly indicate the segment to be viewed.
- Image list that corresponds with the submitted portfolio, including title of work, dimensions, medium, and year.
- Written description of the proposed exhibition, with brief artist's statement.
- A current resume with contact information including address, phone number, email address, and website.
Please not that due to high volume of submissions, we cannot accept physical portfolios and artist packets. Please submit all work electronically.
Materials must be delivered no later than November 1.
Artist(s) selected by the jury will be notified by phone and e-mail no later than December 31.
Click here to view a map of the ArtWalk exhibition space